Friday, November 25, 2011

Epiphany

I just watched Billy Joel's "Last Play ay Shea" and I had  an epiphany.  You may ask what I'm talking about but I think it is a moment of revelation and insight.  I was truly amazed how much Billy Joel's music has been an important part of my my life. There are so many connections with songs, events, and people. 
I followed the Mets when I was growing up in New Jersey pretending I was Tom Seaver, Tug McGraw,Rusty Staub,  or Willie Mays. I remember playing at Dixon Bros. in Moutain Lakes with my cousin George Wilson pretending we were the Mets winning the World Series.
My memories of his music in the 70's - example is Norman Glazer turning me on to Piano Man and 52nd Street and me buying my mother "Glass Houses" as a gift so I could listen to it.
In the 80's it was the album  "An Innocent Man" that me and Debbie  really enjoyed especially - "Keeping the Faith, Innocent Man,  and The Longest Time". Candy was always a big fan of Billy Joel.  We saw him in Charlotte at the original colisieum with obstructed view ( Best seats in the house). The only obstruction was the people in front of us.  Great Seats! The bus ride back from West Virginia Weslyan after losing in Regionals - singing and drinking to Billy Joel.  
In the 90's I served in the Marine Corps, divorced, and met my new wife. A lot of his songs fit into this part of my life.  Alison and I saw the musical " Movin Out" based on Billy Joel's music in NYC while visiting my sister Melissa.  "Goodnight Saigon" didn't mean as much until I served in Desert Storm.
I've always liked Billy Joel and his music but until I watched "The Last Play at Shea" did I realize how much he touched my life growing up.  His remake of Bob Dylan's "To Make You Feel My Love" sums up how I feel about the loves in my life.
I'm truly amazed at how much someone's music that I grew up with connects with so much of my life through the years.

No comments: